The fully automatic sludge liquor separation system with patented advantages
Measure precisely and save costs: Reduce the sludge liquor in sewage sludge more efficiently!
sludge liquor separation system
AMSYS guarantees double advantages: The fully automatic sludge liquor separation system is extremely easy to maintain with its simple cleaning process, and also impresses with unique cost efficiency. The technical sophistication is in recording the measurement in a measuring section outside the container. For this purpose, the measuring equipment and the pump are separated from one another in the system. This systematically avoids measurement inaccuracies and malfunctions due to drying, entanglement or soiling.
The sludge liquor separation system measures the dry substance value exactly at the withdrawal point of the medium – at the discharge pump. As a result, the measuring equipment is stored separately from this. This layout ensures a high and constant measurement accuracy. The system also takes minimal man hours for cleaning and maintaining the measuring equipment. In addition, the workload for integrating it in existing sewage treatment plants is low – the key argument for system concepts up to expansion levels of 50,000 PE.
Advantages of the AMSYS 2.0 sludge liquor separation:
The energy and transportation costs decrease significantly
Low workload thanks to patented design of the measuring section
Fault-free functionality thanks to autonomous operation
Easy to use and operate
All parameters can be adjusted for the specific plant
Seamless integration in the existing system
How the AMSYS 2.0 sludge liquor separation system works
The patented layout of the measuring section and measuring equipment has the following results:
- Seamless integration in existing systems
- Fully automatic application via the automation system proven in the industry
- Plant-specific adjustment of the process parameters via the operating personnel
- Maximum reliability thanks to selected components
- Low maintenance operation thanks to patented design of the measuring section
Special features of the system:
- Setpoints can be chosen freely (start time, pump run time, limits, ...)
- DR value of up to 5 % possible
- Measuring section outside the explosion protection zone
- Longer use times (less maintenance)
- Self-cleaning effect of the probe due to the moving medium, no drying out of the probe
- Simplified maintenance of the probe due to direct access outside the container
- Cleaning work on the filter basket is simplified (no sensitive probe)
- Transparent inspection section for visual inspection of the sludge liquor drawn in (optional)
How it works:
After the system is approved to start, the separation unit moves over the freely moving stroke device - from the idle position vertically through the sludge stacking container - to the defined start point. The fully automatic search begins from this starting point. As soon as a sludge liquor layer is recognised by the sensor, the separation unit stays in operation until the sludge liquor has been pumped off via a flexible discharge pipe. It then travels on a predefined path and restarts measuring the sludge liquor content. After the container has been searched successfully and the sludge liquor layers have been separated, the separation unit returns to the predefined idle position. Sludge liquor limits, start/stop times, travel routes, idle/maintenance positions, rinsing and pumping times and other parameters can be determined centrally depending on the version via the 7" colour touch operating panel.
Structure of the sludge liquor separation system:
How the AMSYS 2.0 sludge liquor separation system works:
Solids process probe manufactured by HACH Company, type SOLITAX ts-line sc (stainless steel)
- Measurement range for dry matter: 0.001 mg/l - 50 g/l (absolute)
- Measurement range for dry residue (DR): up to 5 % solid content - pumpable
- Colour-independent measurement of solids using patented duo-scattered-light measurement procedure
- Calibrated with long-term stability ex-works
- Tried-and-tested self-cleaning system with an automatic wiper
Controller by Hach Company, SC 200, maintenance cycles / error messages are shown on SC 200 Controller, patented design of the measuring section outside the sedimentation tank (ATEX zone)
- Dry running of the process probe is prevented
- Easy maintenance outside of the sedimentation tank
- Extended cleaning intervals with increased service life for the process probe
- Installation of the measuring section on a crane ensures optimal use of space
- Separate design – wall installation (optional)
- Separate design – ground installation (optional)
- Prevention of sludge liquor spillage after the process probe has been removed
- Measuring section housing material: Stainless steel
- Automatic, self-regulating pipe heating for operation at below +4 °C (optional)
- Including thermal insulation of the measuring section
- Sight glass for visual monitoring (optional)
Sludge liquor management – Functions
- Adjustable parameters for the hoisting gear such as idle position, highest / lowest measurement position, travel path and direction
- Adjustable parameters for the sludge liquor pump such as calming, running, pause, rinsing and excess times
- Easy measurement of relevant parameters: Start and end times, current dry matter value or sludge liquor pump position
- Graphic display of current and recent automatic processes using the pump running times, dry matter values, positions of the sludge liquor pump and fill level (optional)
- Operating time counters for the sludge liquor pump and hoisting gear
- Automatic travel to the defined maintenance position incl. switching off of process probe
- Interlock when used with an agitator, for example – higher-level signal (optional)
- Calendar for displaying maintenance schedule
- Help button and information texts for operators
- All errors are listed and can be acknowledged once rectified
PLC Siemens SIMATIC S7-1200
- High-resolution 7" colour touch panel Siemens SIMATIC HMI KTP 700
- Profibus networking (optional)
- Fill level measurement (optional)
Sludge liquor pump unit
Manufactured by HOMA, type TP30 (the electrical components are ATEX-approved)
- Undercurrent and overcurrent detection for the sludge liquor pump
- Thermistor protection for the sludge liquor pump
- Stainless steel attachment parts and the sludge liquor pump equipment repel coarse materials and fibrous materials
- ATEX float switch incl. wire-break and short-circuit detection
- 2" hose connection to hose connector with 90° elbow
- Flow rate Q = 31 m³/h, flow head H = min. 1 m / max. 8.7 m)
- Alternative ATEX-approved pump (optional)
- 2" anti-static PVC hose (length 13 m) for connecting the sludge liquor pump and the measuring section 1 (optional)
Switch cabinet rotates 180° around the vertical axis (can be secured for optimal alignment to avoid solar irradiation)
- Large viewing window made of 6 mm laminated glass (double), UV-resistant and IP66 protection class
- Compact design (attachment to crane arm)
- Separate design – wall installation (optional)
- Separate design – ground installation (optional)
- Rotating – (only in conjunction with the compact design) (optional)
- Material of construction of the switch cabinet: Stainless steel
- Document compartment inside the outer door
- Separation of operation and installation levels (can be locked)
- Construction material of handle: Plastic
- Construction material of handle: Stainless steel (optional)
- Switch for manual or automatic operation
- Emergency stop and main switch
- Service outlet with RCD circuit breaker and interior lighting
- Connection for auxiliary energy 400 V AC (L1, L2, L3, N, PE)
- Long-life 3-colour LED rotating beacon as an operating display for “Automatic operation”, “Manual operation”, “Fault”
- Overvoltage protection on the main power supply
- Floating input for higher-level release (e.g. filling level measurement – if present)
- Floating output for operation and fault
- Thermostat-controlled heating (optional)
- Attachment to end of crane arm
- Single-layer, maintenance-free rope mechanism with no deflection rollers
- High wear-resistance and low friction coefficient
- Protective cover hood material: Stainless steel
- Simple locking of the cover hood with a large access area
- 4 mm stainless steel cable for max. vessel height of 10 m
- Individual adjustment of the vessel height (optional)
Drive manufactured by SEW-EURODRIVE GmbH & Co. KG
- Magnetic absolute encoder for exact determination of position
- Position data available after power failures
- Small increment ensures ideal search results
- Safety limit switch
- Compact design thanks to space for switch cabinet
- Standard dimensions: Height 2.0 m, crane arm length 1.5 m
- Individual adjustment of height and crane arm length (optional)
- Crane arm can be rotated 180° about the vertical axis
- Crane material: Stainless steel
- Standing installation and wall installation (optional)
- Crane and cable routing material: Stainless steel
- Fastening set for installation on a concrete floor (anchor system)
- Fastening set for installation on a steel girder
Efficient and significant: AMSYS significantly reduces the energy, maintenance and transport costs of your sewage treatment plant
Save up to 50,000 Euros per annum on the energy costs of your sewage treatment plant.¹
The sludge liquor separator optimises the performance of the pre-thickener. It improves the sludge thickening level. The digester tank can be charged with a far higher dry substance content. At the same time, the warm-up phase of the sludge is shortened. That speeds up the digestion process and significantly reduces the energy costs for heating the sewage sludge.
Reduce disposal and transport costs of sewage sludge immediately!
With AMSYS, sewage treatment plants without in-house digesters benefit from a lower raw sludge quantity with a higher dry substance content. This reduces transport quantities and transportation costs immensely.
Reduce your sewage treatment plant’s maintenance costs!
The measuring section structure is patented as a system. The maintenance workload is therefore low. The personnel expenditure for cleaning and maintenance of the sludge liquor separation system is minimised compared to conventional systems.
How much energy costs can you save with the AMSYS sludge liquor separator?
1) Sample calculation based on a sewage treatment plant for a population equivalent (PE) of 25,000. Using the sludge liquor separator on a pre-thickener with an initial DR value of 2.5 % and an achieved DR value of 4.0 % per the DWA quantity specifications: Position paper on sewage sludge disposal, Hennef, 2010.
The ideal sludge liquor separator for municipal and industrial sewage treatment plants
AMSYS is the leading solution for sewage treatment plants up to size class 4 and an expansion level of 50,000 PE. Especially sewage treatment plants of municipalities and regional water management associations benefit from an unrivalled solution for cost efficient wastewater treatment. As a result, the AMSYS sludge liquor separation system, which requires little cleaning and maintenance is generally suitable for all vertical thickeners.
The compact and simple system structure is particularly ideal for difficult construction conditions, where conventional sludge drying processes quickly reach their limits. An additional bonus: No interruption of ongoing operation necessary.
What applications is the sludge liquor separation system suitable for?
Optimisation of the process water (sludge liquor) and sludge treatment within sewage treatment plants specially with pre- and post-thickeners.
Where can the system be used?
Within a sewage treatment plant, the system can be used in many areas for monitoring and optimising the process water (sludge liquor) and sludge treatment. The measuring equipment was designed specifically for process water (sludge liquor) or wastewater with high potential soiling.
What advantages does the system offer compared with conventional sludge liquor separators, with measuring equipment integrated directly on the pump in the container?
The benefit to users results from the measuring section layout that is easy to operate and maintain, as it can be maintained quickly by one person and without special tools. Thanks to the better, lighter and faster maintenance, the associated workloads can be reduced significantly. In addition to this, the danger of damaging the measuring equipment is very low. Also, this layout allows practical operation without interruptions, as there is a low risk of cable breakage. This also actively improves the occupational health and safety of the explosion protected area around the thickener.
What advantages does a sludge liquor separator offer overall?
The aim of a sludge liquor separation system is generally to optimise the sludge management. Specifically, this
- reduces the sludge transport and management costs
- increases the utilisation degree of the digestion system including an increased digester gas yield (due to lower energy costs for heating the sewage sludge in the digestion tower) and
- the reverse loading of the sewage treatment plant.
What requirements must be fulfilled to install the system?
Technical implementation is easy for the sewage treatment plant operator with existing specialists and manufacturer support. The instruction and training by the manufacturer means that specific knowledge is not required in advance.
How long does it take to install the system?
In general, the sewage sludge separation system can be installed while the sewage treatment plant is running. Structural changes or shutdown of assemblies in the sewage treatment plant are not necessary. Together with the manufacturer, installation can be performed in just one working day.